It takes a village to host a NAMIWalk. Of course we need people to walk on Walk Day and we are very grateful to have their support. In addition to walkers, we also need the time, talent, and/or support of others to make a NAMIWalk a great success!
If you are interested in getting more involved with your NAMIWalk, here are a few suggestions:
- Become a Team Captain. A Team Captain creates a team and then gets his/her family members, friends, and colleagues to join the team. A Captain coaches and assists his/her members in achieving their Walk goals. A Captain is a leader who inspires his/her members and keeps them motivated. A good Captain sets a team goal of $1,000. To achieve the goal, he/she will get 10 people to walk on his/her team, and have each person set a personal goal of $100. It’s that easy!
- Be an entertainer at the Walk. NAMIWalks are known for having family-friendly entertainment, so if you are a performer (singer, musician, dancer, face painter, magician, juggler, etc.) you can entertain during Walk day. Your talents will bring smiles to participants’ faces and help create a festive environment.
- Volunteer for the Walk. Volunteers are needed throughout the whole process of the event. Pre-Walk Day volunteers help secure sponsorships and press coverage, promote the event, organize the Team Captain Kick-Off Luncheon, assist with mailings and distributing flyers, etc. On Walk Day volunteers assist with setting-up and breaking-down the event, registering walkers, distributing food and beverages, etc. After the Walk, volunteers assist in writing thank you letters and help with other wrap-up projects.
- Sponsor the event. Your company can contribute a monetary donation and/or an in-kind gift. Our sponsorship levels range from $250 to $15,000. Each level comes with special benefits from having your company’s logo on the event t-shirt to having your company’s name on signage at the event. In lieu of or in addition to making a monetary donation, your company can donate an item that can be used as an incentive prize for the Walk. Sponsoring a NAMIWalk is a great way to show how your company is supporting the community.
- Show off your creative side. Are you an artist? If you answered yes, you can offer your talents to help Walk Teams design their team t-shirts and/or team signs. These items are always prominently displayed at NAMIWalk events!
These are just a few of the many ways you can get involved! Volunteering your time and talent, along with raising funds and awareness, will make your NAMIWalk a great success!